Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Always keep your camera handy



My granddaughter is saving for a toy that she saw in Toys R Us. I decided to drive over to the mall and check out what this little three year old is salting away money for. I was not thinking about photography.

When I saw the white horse down by the pond I temporarily forgot Toys R Us. I stopped thinking about toys and thought about pictures. I saw a picture moment and had to pull over.

I like to keep my camera handy at all times. I keep both my little Canon S90 and my larger Fuji FinePix HS10 in a small, padded camera bag which I carry with me most of the time. I also always have spare batteries for both cameras at all times. A camera without a working battery is worthless.

I used my Canon for this picture. I like it but I'm beginning to feel I should be shooting RAW rather than JPEG. Point and shoot camera software plays nasty games with image quality. I don't believe this would be an issue if I were shooting RAW.

No matter. I'm still rather pleased with this "slice of life" moment. So here's the tip: Always keep a camera handy. Today's pocket sized point and shoots are perfect but some cell phones are beginning to give low end point and shoots increasing competition.

No comments:

Post a Comment